From 1 Week
Volunteer at Habiba to gain practical experience with organic harvesting, sowing, companion planting and how to identify the right plants to grow, and when to grow them. We will also show you how to identify and control pests and diseases in organic systems.
1 Week Program includes
- Learn how organic production compares to conventional/industrial farming systems.
- Develop an understanding of benefits and constraints of production using organic systems, including the benefits and drawbacks of composting (including how to prepare it), soil building and nutrient management.
- Learn the benefits of mulching and other conservation agriculture techniques.
- Understand the hurdles farmers need to cross when they attempt to farm in a desert or degraded environments.
- We will discuss soil and water conservation techniques and the use of drip irrigation systems to manage water resources.
- During all this we want you to gain practical experience with harvesting, sowing, companion planting and how to identify the right plants to grow, and when to grow them. We will also show you how to identify and control pests and diseases in organic systems.
Founded in 2007, Habiba Organic Farm serves as a community farm to benefit the people of South Sinai in Egypt. The farm serves as a shining beacon of hope to what can be accomplished through sound organic farming practices in the desert. Local people have seen the result, and today, agriculture is beginning to flourish across the region. Through partnerships with universities and non-government organizations, we are expanding the role of the farm in the region – to serve as a training hub for integrated sustainable development.
Accommodation, meals and learning program, beach access and activities such as swimming, snorkelling, hiking and camel riding are included in the fees.
We provide volunteers with accommodation at the guest house in the farm or at Habiba Beach Lodge on the sandy beaches of Nuweiba. Each room is equipped with beds, closets, sheets, and views the Aqaba Gulf. Habiba Beach Lodge is in walking distance from the farm and the markets of Nuweiba. The farm is also equipped with a kitchen and two guest rooms. If volunteers prefer falling asleep while gazing at the silhouette of trees, the farm should be their top pick.
The meals are vegetarian and many components are from the organic farm . We also provide bottled water, hot drinks like tea or Nescafe (3 times per day) and fruits (served 3 times per week) .
You can also add 5$ per meal to get fresh fish, chicken or meat.
The chef at Habiba Beach Lodge can satisfy all of your culinary wishes, but any special requirements should be communicated prior to arrival. Traditional Egyptian cuisine is our standard. Volunteers are free to cook their own meals with the ingredients provided by the Lodge or any other ingredients they wish to buy from local markets. The meals provided are mainly vegetarian to rhyme with our concept of farming and self-sustainability. Our organic veggies from the farm make superb salads, soups and sauces.
Limited access at the project site
What’s Not Included
Visa, flights, travel insurance or vaccinations are NOT included in the program fees. An airport pickup isn’t included within the program fees either.
The nearest airport is Sharm El Sheikh Airport (SSH) in Sharm el Sheikh. We assist you to find cheap flights to Egypt.
Going abroad is an adventure and it is always best to be prepared. Sudden illness or injury, cancellation or theft – a travel insurance for Egypt provides security and is a plus to have. Get a quote here !
Program And Price
- 2 weeks (min. stay)
- 4 weeks
- 4 weeks
- 12 weeks (max. stay)
- Average fees