From 2 Weeks
ORCA Foundation’s volunteer program comprises 3 key elements:
1. Conservation: Rescue of marine birds, assist with beach strandings, stabilization of
turtles prior to them being moved onto specialized facilities, alien tree removal, beach
2. Education: Partaking in pre-school and primary school environmental education
programs, educational entertainment through the media of dance and theatre, partnering
with a local underprivileged preschool to teach English and assist where needed
3. Research: Taking and processing fin profile photos of a number of whale and dolphin
species seen on boat trips, analysing river health, bird ringing, elasmobranch surveys.
contributing to a number of online databases mapping species distribution
ORCA Foundation combines conservation, education, research, community development, and
tourism into its comprehensive volunteer program. It’s all hands-on! All activities depend on
season, weather, and need, and as such may be subject to change throughout the year. As a result, all placements are different, and you may or may not be involved with the above activities.
Volunteers can also expect to contribute to Ocean Blue Adventures’ commercial operations. Bad
weather days can delay conservation/research activities and may involve indoor activities and
For more information click here!
To raise awareness for and interest in marine conservation issues. We do this by supporting research projects that ensures responsible socio-economic development in Plettenberg Bay. In so doing we educate locals and foreigners alike on various aspects of conservation. Our goals are as follows:
- To support researchers and management authorities in the development of effective marine management plans.
- To teach our children about the value of our oceans.
- To allow volunteers from around the globe an opportunity to explore the world of conservation from a South African perspective.
- To install a sense of community and support by collaborating with research institutions, conservation organizations and the private sector.
We support the development of strategies that ensure the long-term sustainability of our natural resources, and the creation of a model that can be replicated along all coastal lines.
Your fee includes:
- 3 meals per day
- All activities on the project
- Transfers during working hours on the program
- T-shirt and cap
What’s Not Included
The cost of the program does not include:
- Out of project activities, equipment hire, diving activities
- Car hire, taxis, airport transfers
- Out of house meals, snacks, cigarettes, alcohol
- Healthcare or personal hygiene
Be ready at 08h00, when we collect you for the day’s activities, which range from
maintaining the aquarium at Ocean Blue Adventures to assisting researchers out on the ocean or in the field. The volunteer working week at ORCA Foundation is Monday to
Friday, from 08h00 to 16h00. Evenings and weekends are your leisure times. The
relaxed atmosphere of Plettenberg Bay and the ORCA Foundation will help you to
settle in quickly. Some days involve more work and longer hours, while others move at
a leisurely pace. Planned activities can change at a moment’s notice, especially if the
weather turns or something exciting, like a marine mammal stranding, comes along. Be
prepared to go with the flow.
Program And Price
ORCA provides a volunteer experience for 2 – 12 weeks from January to November. Price
is $500/week (1 January 2017- $525/week) including full board and accommodation –minimum 2 weeks stay.
Community Development Project with SEED Madagascar
From 4 weeks
Community Development Programme Want an in-depth, hands-on experience with a variety of rural and urban development projects ? Our Community...
Conservation Programme with SEED Madagascar
From £795GBP (Donation)
The southern littoral forest in Sainte Luce is one of only three significant areas of this forest type remaining in Madagascar, having been ...
Coral Conservation & Biorock Reef Restoration Course
During the Introduction to Biorock Reef Restoration Course students will complete the Biorock® Specialty course (PADI speciality certifica...